Monday, February 9, 2009

Special People


These special people made a HUGE difference in my life. This is my Aunt Hazel Cotner and her brand-new husband Thomas Sanborn. It is a long story and I hope I can tell it so you can understand why I feel they are so special. In 1938, my aunt was engaged to a young man who was working in California. He was trying to earn enough money so they could be married. In the meantime, young Tom Sanborn goes to Oklahoma to do some fishing! He sees my Aunt Hazel and decides she is the one for him. He tells her he is not leaving until she marries him. This goes on for several days. My aunt finally says she will marry him. They knew each other for 5 days before they married. Aunt Hazel said she didn't even know his last name until she saw the marriage certificate!
Hazel's grandmother Martin had died about 6 days before this. Hazel said when she was trying to decide what to do, a voice told her to marry Tom. I like to think it was her grandmother whispering to her.
Aunt Hazel and Uncle Tom moved to Redlands, California where Uncle Tom was raised. About 2 years after they were married, the LDS sister missionaries found them and they were baptized members of the LDS church. In 1962 I was taught by the missionaries in the Sanborn home. My Uncle Tom baptized me a member of the Church. They introduced the church to me at a time when I really needed it in my life. I will be eternally grateful for what they did for me.
I also need to add they were married about 46 years before my uncle passed away from cancer.

2 comments:

  1. I was just thinking the other day about how you did not need to live in the past! You've got all these great stories in your head! With your blog, you can write them down for all of us to enjoy and remember so we won't forget! Thanks, Madre!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jill took the words right out of my mouth! 123

    ReplyDelete