Sunday, March 29, 2009

Cemeteries Tell Stories

My cousin Karen came for a visit a couple of days ago. We both enjoy family history and we have had some success with it. We have done several things together like going to the temple, but we have never been to the cemetery before looking for information. We knew we were going to find 1 Macdonald grave and four Hudlows. We were quite surprised that we found 4 more Hudlows buried there. Should I add this was in Phoenix at Greenwood/Memory Lawn Cemetery. This headstone (above) is Mr Daniel's uncle that was killed during WW II. He left a young pregnant wife and a devastated family. His daughter has never known him, but she will someday.
My great-grandmother was Margaret Johnston. She had at least 6 sisters and I have always referred to them as the Johnston girls. There was 1 brother that lived to adulthood. One of the girls married a Hudlow and these are two of her children. It just reminds me that these people really lived and we will get to meet them someday. After doing genealogy and family history work, you begin to feel close to them and excited to be able to do the work for them. The above headstone is Cora Hudlow Laveen and after seeing the headstones I was able to put her family together as well as her husband's family. The puzzle pieces came together and I know those on the other side helped us find the pieces. It was a successful couple of days.
Posted by Picasa

4 comments:

  1. John has many relatives at the cemetary by our house. Although he has never met most of them, he enjoys learning about them! He has learned so much about where he came from! Who knew the cemetary could be so insightful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your blog, especially when you blog about Family History. A person can feel your passion when reading your blog. It is refreshing. You are my Family History Hero!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. As you know, I have a greater appreciation for cemetaries now too. Glad you found more family. thanks Mom for your hard work and example. I agree with Carla, You are my family history hero!

    ReplyDelete